03 March 2008

We are hungry men - RSS feeds (a few days on)

I've now got RSS feeds Bloglines and on My Yahoo. I've also got an RSS toolbar on my Firefox browser at home, however that isn't as useful for work related feeds as we use the inferior internet explorer at work. I prefer Bloglines though for my RSS feeds. It's one of my bookmarks on my internet homepage.

I love the way I can add some of the sites I like to look at every now and then and check if there are updates in one place.

I've added a weather site that had an RSS button on it and I've found a David Bowie site that didn't have any RSS button or RSS feed info on it, from memory that was the same situation with the Powerhouse museum's pic of the day. Anyway they both update regularly when there's new info or pics on the sites.

With regards to the use of RSS in libraries. I'd like to see it used for our new items lists. Currently I print up one each month costing us $16.00 each time, just on printing. If our users were able to view new items through their RSS readers then we could cut down on the number of copies printed. Another advantage would be the number of collections listed each month wouldn't need to be limited to the three collections (due to volume) printed each month.

I like the way Sutherland library has an RSS feed from their news page and loved the way they have all the different buttons for the different readers to select from.

Somehow I don't think we'll be doing that though as we ususally update our library news once every year or so!

No comments: