06 May 2008

Please Mr. Gravedigger - social networking

I hadn't realised that Myspace was the most popular social networking site in the US and in Australia, and I found it interesting that New Zealand is aligned with the UK in their networking.

I only have a faily basic Myspace site at the moment, mainly just a few pictures on there. I'm working on converting a video I took into a format that I can upload too.

I originally started up my Myspace site when I discovered some of my favourite musicians major web presence is on Myspace, for instance the local band Telemetry orchestra and Ed Kuepper.

Now that our library has its very own blog featuring library news, there's no reason why we couldn't start using Myspace. We could include our news and also highlights from various collections. We'd be able to maintain it ouselves just like a Wiki, so we wouldn't need to rely on the council's IT section to keep updating the site for us.

We will be able to have a social network of our borrowers! That is a little scary.

With regards to Second life. The only exposure I've had to it is via an episode of the Simpsons and the only use I can think of that we'd be able to benefit from is to create versions of our borrowers. When one of them does something bad, we could have a field day tormenting them in Second life. That would be a booster to staff morale.

These are some of the things we can do easily in the near future. Imagine what's to come in a couple of years. There will be things that don't exist now, things that none of us have thought of! It makes life so much more exciting.

Gotta go - the record had ended...

2 comments:

bookgirl76 said...

I don't think we can start a myspace page cold like that. We need to know there is an audience for it. If we had a group in the library that we could extend to be online we'd know there'd be an audience.

pls@slnsw said...

Congratulations on finishing the program! I hope you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing your thoughts along the way.

Leanne