16 April 2008

Come and buy my toys - Answer boards and social searching

It is very good to see that answers given by librarians are often rated quite highly. I'm not surprised though after seeing the range of responses given to some questions. Many librarians go out of their way to provide informative and complete answers.

I've discovered, much to my dissapointment that some people who can't help at all, still reply with silly statements like, no I don't know! or No, can't help. Looks like they are trying to build up their points, but it spoils it for the rest of the community. That's the problem with a system like this where points are awarded for each answer. This to me is a form of spam. I've just joined up with YA and have posted my first question and given my first answer. It looks like this is going to be fun. There goes my spare time! Only have 99 points... Must build it up!!!

I'm already a member of Eatability, which is the best of the restaurant review sites on the web. I often review and rate the restaurants I visit, mostly highlighting all the positive aspects (as they are running a business) and hope that this helps to encourage them to continue to provide excellent service. I always mark other reviews as helpful, if they are useful, as I love it when others rate my reviews as helpful.

Our library is about to implement reviews and ratings on our catalogue. It will be interesting to see what books are rated highly and which ones receive really low ratings. We may be able to use this feedback to help with collection development.

No comments: